June 16, 2011

Fanfic: A Fan's Gift

I shall share with you all a story I did up in my Creative Writing class.  Since I have an adoration for TVXQ member, Shim Changmin I decied to write a story about what might happen if I did come across him.  I had also posted this on the fanfiction site known as Winglin.  Please tell me what you think.  :D 

Title: A Fan's Gift
Type: Oneshot
Rating: G


‘There are many things in life that I always wish I could attain. One for example is to become a well known comic artist. Another is to travel to Japan and South Korea. But one of my biggest wishes right now is to meet one of Asia’s best male vocal groups: Dong Bang Shin Ki. You see, I’ve been a fan for a good while; however, the closest I’ve gotten to them has been through watching stuff about them on YouTube. Dong Bang Shin Ki, also known as TVXQ or Tohoshinki, is a Korean male vocal group that is made up of five very talented members. They’ve topped charts in many Asian nations and are said to have the largest fan club in the world. It has been my dream to meet them…especially one member in particular. His name is Shim Changmin and he…’

“Look! It’s them!” a girl shouted. Before I knew it all the girls around me started screaming; thus forcing me out of my thoughts. I was pushed forward as the girls from the back wanted to get a closer view of the people coming through the terminal gate. The bodyguards were ready for any girl that tried to slip under the aisle separators. I looked up just in time to see only the tops of the heads of two members of the group I’ve been thinking about walk swiftly down the aisle. The screams of the fan girls became louder as the last three members and their staff rushed by. The time elapsed was about two minutes and before I knew it, it was over. I had seen this scenario so many times on the internet, but this is the first time I’ve actually experienced it. This may have been nothing like the Gimpo Airport in South Korea (their crowds are HUGE) but it was still quite crazy. Clutching my art portfolio, I turned to my sister. “Well, that was exciting!” My sister nodded as a response. The crowd of girls began to move to the front of the LAX airport to catch another glimpse of TVXQ again.

“I guess we should head back to the hotel now,” I sighed. We hailed a cab and told him the directions needed. While riding, my sister turned to me.

“So, did you get to see him, Maddie?” she smirked.

“No. There were too many girls in the way. Did you get to see your favorite?” My sister shook her head.

“Well, maybe we’ll get to see them at the Korean Music Festival tomorrow?”

“Maybe.” I looked down at my portfolio again. Maybe then I could give them my gift.

We spent the rest of the day in our hotel room just watching television and ordering room service. That night, I couldn’t get to sleep. Every time I lay in one position, I would get uncomfortable and shift. Then I would become uncomfortable again. After a few minutes of restlessness, I decided that chilling in the lobby until I grew tired would be a good idea. I shut the door quietly so as not to disturb my sister. While in the elevator, I thought about the events that happened today. How exhilarating it was to be that close to TVXQ, and yet knowing that that was as close as I was going to get. The elevator chimed to indicate that I had made it to my destination. I exited the elevator and looked around. There were two staff members that were standing behind the check-in desk and a janitor that was vacuuming the waiting area’s rug. There was one person, however, sitting at one of the round tables used for dining. He was reading a newspaper that had strange symbols on it. ‘Hm, those symbols look familiar,’ I thought to myself. Indeed they were familiar because I noticed the word “Kim” on the front page. “Yup, it’s Korean.” Shocking enough, the person reading it was none other than the one person I’ve been waiting a very long time to meet. “Changmin-oppa,” I said to myself. Why was he here? What should I do? I was stunned. Here I was with Changmin just a mere ten feet away. There were no fans and no bodyguards. If I ever had any chance of actually meeting him, now would be it. Suddenly, all the reminders saying that I most likely wouldn’t meet him came back to me.

“You’ll be an old woman by the time you meet him,” one person had said.

“Why do you care about someone that lives so far away?”

“I don’t think you’ll ever meet him.”

‘Oh yeah? Watch me,’ I thought to myself as I timidly walked towards him. As each step brought me closer, I started thinking of different scenarios of how my conversation with him would turn out; however, most of them seemed to end with him ignoring me. Once I got really close, about two feet away, I started to open my mouth to say something. No words were coming out. I was too busy looking at how handsome he was. Pictures don’t do him justice. He really was better looking in person, and very tall! It was exactly like what I had read in accounts fan girls had posted on the internet. According to my information on him, he is about six foot two. His hair was dark brown and just long enough to almost reach the dip in his neck. His recently pierced ears had no earrings in them at the moment. I guess he doesn’t really like to wear them when he is not being a celebrity. His I-pod lay on the table, and I did glance at it to see what he was listening to. “TRICK – TVXQ” were the words that cruised along the screen. From what I could hear coming out of his headphones, it sounded like a song you could break dance to.

Changmin must have noticed me standing there staring at him because his eyes moved in my direction. He got startled a little, but soon gave me a timid smile. “H-hello,” I began. He said nothing but just continued to stare. I felt so embarrassed. If my skin wasn’t so dark, I’m sure you could tell I was blushing like crazy. “Um, is it…okay if, um, I, ah…sit here?” I pointed to the seat in front of him. He blinked a few times. I guess he was trying to register what I was trying to say. I knew he didn’t speak English all that well, but I also knew he had some sort of grasp of it. He nodded a little. Now if I wasn’t excited before, I sure was now! My heart was beating fast, and my stomach was doing somersaults. He went back to reading his newspaper, but instead of two headphones in his ears he had only one. I guess it was so he could hear me if I ever spoke. Moments passed with neither of us talking. I continued to look at some more of his features: his high cheeks, his large ears, his thick eyebrows, his cute nose, and his inviting lips. I couldn’t help staring. I bet if you ever saw him, you would understand why he has captured my heart. He noticed me staring once again and looked up.

“Is tear…someting urong?” he asked in the best English he could. I was happy that he even attempted. Nevertheless, it sounded so cute! I shook my head in response to his question. He shrugged a little and went back to reading the paper. That was when I spoke up.

“Um,” I began. He looked up at me again. “Y-you are part of um…um… Dong Bang Shin Ki, right?” I asked slowly. I was getting nervous. It was incredibly difficult to look at such an adorable face! Out of reluctance, he began to nod. I guess he knew where this was going. If things got out of hand, I was certain he would leave. “Well, I’m a fan of yours. And I didn’t expect you and the other members to be in the same hotel as me,” I smiled. He also smiled a bit. “Really?” he asked. I nodded. “It is…nice to meet you,” he said while placing his newspaper on the table. “What…is…your name?” he asked slowly.

“Madeline, but I tend to be called Maddie.”

“Well, Maddie-shii…which is your…paeborite memba?” That was a no-brainer. I pointed to him, and he looked surprised. He’s not the most popular in the group, so it must have made him happy to see my response because his smile appeared again. Talking became easier between us, and soon we were asking each other questions about random things. At times he would laugh at some of the things I said. It was those times that I truly loved. You see, his smile is really unique: his right eye would scrunch up, and he would wiggle around when he was truly enjoying something. I swear we spent the entire night talking. Light was beginning to creep through the lobby windows, and I knew that we would have to part ways soon. Suddenly, I had an idea. I asked him to stay put for a moment while I went back to my room to retrieve my gift to them. He did as he was asked and stayed until I returned a few minutes later with my black portfolio. I opened it and pulled out a large sheet of sturdy paper with a drawing on it. “Here. It is my gift to you,” I said. He graciously took the drawing. I could tell by his face that he was surprised to see that he and the other members were drawn in permanent ink onto it. He then looked at me with a grin on his face.

“Komapsumnida,” he said.

“You are very welcome.” He then pulled out a paper of his own and a pen. He wrote down some sort of email address which he then gave to me.

“My e-maeru.” I was taken aback. First I meet him in the same hotel, we talk for hours, and now he gives me his email address. This was all too good to be true. But the best was yet to come because after we said our goodbyes, he gave me a hug. If I were to die at that very moment, I would have been more than happy. Then I woke up in the hotel room I shared with my sister. It was still dark out.

‘Was it all a dream?’ I thought. Turning on a lamp, I looked around. I guess it was. ‘Man…things like this always happen to me.’ I pouted for a while and hopped out of bed. That was when I noticed my portfolio was opened. Getting a closer look revealed that one of my pictures was missing. It just so happened to be the one I drew of TVXQ. I also noticed a piece of paper that didn’t have my handwriting on it. A smile then crept onto my face. I guess it really did happen after all.

Due to some unfortunate circumstances, my sister and I never did get to see them perform at the Korean Music Festival. I did send e-mails to Changmin every now and then, and he would respond when he had time. Sometimes he would ask if I would be able to come to South Korea to see him perform. One day I saw a YouTube clip of them on a Korean show saying how much they loved the gift they received the night I talked with Changmin. The host asked how they got the picture, and Changmin began to grin. “A very nice girl drew it for us,” the subtitles read as he spoke, “I hope to meet her again.” He then winked, and I squealed like any fan girl would. I knew that his message was for me. That was when I came to a decision. I would save up enough money to go to South Korea and find him. After all, he granted my wish. Why not go and grant his?

No comments:

Post a Comment